Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Can't teach an old dog new tricks

Can’t teach an old dog new tricks.
For many years, I used to measure myself and my achievements (or lack of) in a momentary frame, in other words I looked at situations as if they existed in a specific point in time. So I succeeded, or I failed, I won or I lost, I did or I didn’t.

Then one day, someone said to me that, “what’s true today may not be true tomorrow”. It may seem like a simple and logical thing when you think about it, but whatever way they said it, it seemed to have a profound and lasting impression on me.

I started to look at situations in an infinite time frame, in other words, things had no end. By doing so, I couldn’t fail and couldn’t succeed either, I simply learned and grew. I didn’t win or lose, I simply had an experience that either brought me a temporary felling of satisfaction or dissatisfaction, from I which I could easily move on.

I even decided that anyone who tells me I’ve failed can go f$%k themselves, and anyone who tells me I’m a success should get their head out of my ass unless they like the smell of yesterday's curry.

As such, I now, and forever, cannot be a failure, nor arrogant. (although, I may chose to be uncouth, condescending and hypocritical, sometimes :-)

I’m not sure if that kind of mentality would suit you, but it works for me, and I share it with you in case you find it useful to think in this way (without the toilet humour of course). And if you don't agree, DON'T tell me why. You’re probably smarter than I, anyway. And this old dog can't learn any more tricks.

Aside from this lesson, that person also taught me two things, sarcasm & a great quote that I use regularly when people ask how I am...“I’m not where I want to be, but I’m not where I used to be, I’m ok and I’m on my way”

Ps. I haven’t heard from this friend for many years and lost track. George Statham, wherever you are, I miss your wisdom. I hope you’re happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment